View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I actually received an ARC recently; the title escapes my memory at the moment, but the gist is that Wal-mart has cleaned up its act and become more ethical recently. I'm extremely skeptical, but I'll give it a read.

I do think that Amazon is losing the PR battle on this front. I live in Texas, and I have to say that the local attitudes towards how Amazon conducted itself down here have been extremely negative (myself included). Honestly, I agree with the OP that, if anything else, Amazon could and should be characterizing this issue very differently.
I also live in Texas. The Amazon fiasco (after I actually looked at what was on the table following my initial knee jerk reaction) made Governor Goodhair look like a drooling fool.

If you read the actual bill, Perry and his crowd were asserting that because Amazon had warehouses in Texas, Texas could charge a sales tax on a transaction betrlween a seller in Georgia and a buyer in New Mexico. Pay attention to the implications of that because this idiot is now exploring a presidential run.

I haven't read the California bill, and I assume it isn't loopy in that way. But California does not have a tax problem. California has a spending problem, and a big problem with businesses packing up and moving. If Amazon pulls out it won't be making a different decision than any of the other businesses leaving California, and I see nothing to hold against them.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote