Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #136
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lolita would fit in Classical Literature, Free-for-all and Lottery. But it's not a classic (it's influence is to pedophiles and it's only important to pedophiles). It is not a romance. Romance is not about a pedophile lusting after a little girl.

I don't like banning books. But any book that deals with pedophilia has to go. That is one subject I do feel strongly about doing away with.
Humbert Humbert is portrayed as a mentally ill, erudite pedophile who strategically gains control of a disturbed and confused young girl. The greatness of the book lies with Nabokov's facility with the English language, literary allusions, and psychological insight. The book does not portray pedophilia as an attractive option. Possible spoiler alert:
Spoiler:
Quite the opposite as Humbert comes to realize the damage he has done to Dolores (only is she the dehumanized Lolita in his sick mind).

I agreed with Jon on this one until I read the book a month ago. It reminded me that we can't fairly judge a book we haven't read. There are many non-controversial books about pedophilia told from the victim's perspective; Lolita is only controversial because it is told from a perpetrator's viewpoint.

I came late to the party having joined up here only about six months ago, but it appears that Lolita should be nominated in the right category and win so that it can be discussed once and for all. Of the many books I've read in the past year, it is the one I would most like to discuss.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote