View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Guys, I will create a separate thread later on with details on how to do all this but replacing the Samsung storage on the Kindle 2 with a higher capacity one is definitely possible. I am holding in my hands a Samsung 8 GB NAND that was originally inside a Palm Pre. I have not done it yet but I can see that I can just put this right back in the Kindle 2.

I can now get the Kindle 2 from 2 GB to 8 GB. Let's see how the process of soldering this goes. Now, it is just a matter of finding the active pads. Fortunately, the 29 active pads are shown here http://www.samsung.com/global/busine..._MoviNAND.html. Also, notice how there are larger capacity NAND up to 32 GB there. In theory, you can even install the 32 GB one depending on the size and contact connector. Since I don't think it's worth doing this for the Kindle, I am not even going to considering anything higher than 8 GB (because of the cost factor), unless, of course, I could find one for free.

I warn you guys that this project requires at least some basic BGA soldering skills as well as the tools required. However, I can almost guarantee that most technically inclined people could do this if they put the required time and effort. There are many BGA soldering tutorials on YouTube.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote