View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #1405
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The plugin has no concept of a book being on the device if the device is not connected. Part of that is that I don't find it a very useful piece of information.
As I think I've mentioned before, I have a lot of searches that are dependent on if a book is on the device or not.

Really, for me, a book has 3 "on device" states:
1) not on device
2) recently added to device but not yet imported
3) on device and imported

I need to keep track of these because if I edit a cover, it's not interesting if the book isn't (yet) on the device, as it will be automatically transferred next time it is put there. But if it is on the device, then the cover now needs to be updated on the device eventually. Worse...if a book gets sent to the device, and I edit the cover _after_ that but before the book is imported, now I can't update the cover until next time.

Similarly, if a book was recently added to the device, next time I need to update its metadata; and when it is removed, I need to reset that flag so that if it is re-added, the metadata can be re-added.

And just to be extra confusing, occasionally a book gets sent to the main memory instead of the SD card, and the reading list plugin treats these as separate targets on the same device.

Either the reading list plugin isn't sophisticated enough to keep track of those states, or I'm not clever enough to use it to do so. There's some corner cases it can't satisfy (like keeping track of things not yet imported, and discrepancies between books actually on the device and ones it thinks are while the device is plugged in and things are being changed), but it helps even so.

Last edited by compurandom; 10-26-2017 at 01:05 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote