Thread: Kobo Start Menu
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Sorry for not having explained much until now. I am planning to write some details about the usage in serveral small installments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xping View Post
Why is necessary to have images of icons (exit nickel etc) in library?
It is not necessary, but maybe helpful.
  • exit_nickel.png: if you select this image in the library, nickel (the Kobo user interface) exits, and you get back to the start menu (provided nickel has been started from the menu).
  • toggle_nightmode.png: if you select this image in the library, it toggles Yoq's nightmode (provided of course it is installed). I thought this might be convenient for some people.
  • simulate_usb_connection.png: If you copy some books that you plan to use with nickel to the device, you should generally establish the USB connection while running nickel (the same way as you supposedly did until now). If you load the books however in some other way (e.g., by establishing the USB connection with the start menu, or via wifi ftp), you have to make nickel update its database. One way to achieve this is to simulate an USB connection/disconnection event. if you select the image simulate_usb_connection.png in the library, the "computer detected" message will pop up (even though there is no computer connected). Press quickly "connect" (you have only some seconds before the pop-up closes), nickel will read the new contents and update the database.
If you don't plan to use any of these, you can remove the concerned image from the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xping View Post
Have U read about AdvBoot in Kobo developer's Corner thread
Should be possible to launch this menu within AdvBoot as third option ? (1 Kobo Nickel; 2 Koreader; 3 This menu)

Thx
Yes, I did read this thread, and I am happy that someone went this way, cf. my suggestion. And yes, it should be possible to have this menu as a third option. But I am not sure what purpose it would fullfill, since the aims of AdvBoot and the start menu are very similar.
There are some more ways to launch the menu, by fmon, by Kobo Launcher, by the Kobo Tweaks (I am not sure whether they are working on recent FWs). Of course one would have to change the contents of the menu entries in order to prevent to much circularity.

Last edited by tshering; 02-09-2014 at 06:07 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote