View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #763
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's I suspect, is talking about benefit for your heart. That's rather different from extended exercise for the purpose of burning calories. 3 minutes exercise a week, no matter how "high intensity" it may be, certainly isn't going to burn many calories .

I try to average 3-4 miles brisk walking on a weekday, and perhaps double that at the weekend. It's pounding out the miles that burns fat.
I have to admit to being sceptical about the 3 minute a week claim, too, but there is something in HIIT as concept. For example, a 154 pound person running at a pace of 8 mph burns 320 calories in 20 minutes. That same person, walking at 3 mph for an hour, burns 235 calories. Additionally, the claim is that after a high-intensity session, your body continues burning calories at a higher rate than normal for the rest of the day, and even into the next day.

Also, according to a 2011 study presented at the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, just 2 weeks of high-intensity intervals improves your aerobic capacity as much as 6 to 8 weeks of endurance training.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote