View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Smile Hola, from Miami (a befuddled noob)

I am not all that tech-savvy (okay, I'm NOT tech-savvy), but I am an avid reader. My house is crammed with thousands of books, and I thought an electronic reader would help me control the accumulation. To that end, my husband got me a Sony Reader PRS505 as a Christmas present. Um, an EARLY present.

I really like the physical aspects--it's easy to read, I can enlarge the letters (yes, I have presbyopia), and the actual operation (turning pages, etc) is simple enough for a techno-dinosaur like me. The dark blue one is very elegant. I definitely like the feel and look.

However, I am not happy with the selection of books at the Connect store or the prices. I assumed (stupidly, I suppose) that since there is not cost of paper, ink, transportation, warehousing, storehousing, etc related to e-tomes, that the cost would be hugely lowered. It's not. And I've gone several times to the e-store and NOT found books I needed, either for pleasure or to review on my blog. I'm not talking obscure books, either. This has certainly put the kibosh on my Reader joy. If I can't get a great selection, it sort of defeats the purpose of getting the Reader, as I still have to purchase the books in hard format.

I've been skimming around the forums trying to get answers to some techie vexing issues, and I hope I'll find them. Otherwise, I'll have to call Sony, and I hate calling tech support.

I hope I can sort out the issues (can't figure out how to get books OFF the Reader without deleting them from the library, which would be boneheaded as I PAID for those ) and that the e-store eventually ups its selection to at least be competitive with Kindle. The price and look of the Reader, imo, is better than the Kindle's, but I'm not 100% shiny happy with my Reader... yet.

Meanwhile, hello. And sorry if that turned into a gripe.

Mirtika
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote