View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Augen The Book CONS (additional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
new con - I have had this, as well as others reporting it too. The time set seems to slip gradually- mine was about 9 hours off, and I just reset it - I will keep track of the slipping this time.

Rebecca
Rebecca,
Funny thing about the clock my TB when powered on keeps time.
When power down it looks like the “clock” is powered down as well when you turn it back on the time can jump back and then move way forward and it will pop up in military time….
The most frustrating CON: is the lack of usable folder functionality for storing and playing audio or video files.
CON: The lack Of even the MOST Basic Controls in the video player (NO PAUSE?) (NO Volume Control in this day and age?) But I will say the video once started plays well using my stock avi files .
Come on folks in this day and age! I had type of “simplicity” way back on the first orient produced personal 512K mp3 players and this was like six or more years ago I guess they are regressing or just being a penny wise and a pound foolish?
I checked with my Linux friends and the ports of open source audio and video players, directory managers and even mini port of open office exist for this processor running Linux 2.
The only thing that I can think of is that Augen hired a class of China first year intergrators/programmers and this was some form of first time class project.
I am amazed that a company (Augen) would put their present and any future commercial reputation at especially with a large mass marketer like Sears/K-Mart.
Being a electronics “nerd” I opened the unit and examined it.
The electronic bones are their the to be implemented, what works can be improved to the point that this has the potential to be a fantastic device, just look at the text to speech IT ACTUAL WORKS WELL… (B+ to the student that did that module)

It looks like Augen just likes to shoot them selves in the foot or they are banking that the Android touch screen will be the premier product and the TB will just fade into obscurity via the “discount” and clearance channels.
This can easily explain the lack of forward support (or any form of support or acknowledgments) from Augen on their web support site. This may also account for the price drop at K-Mart and other sites on the TB, fire sale?
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote