View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #120
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Depending on the print medium, a caster might be the person who poured the type metal ingots used in a Linotype (hot type)

This industry has archaic roots.
Actually it is. (So my Dad would have been the caster, he operated at Linotype machine (or rather several) from 1950 until he retired around 20 years ago, much due to his disliking the computer layout systems bought by his employer at that time. I sometimes visited him at work when I was a boy, and I was downright amazed by the speed of the machinery spitting out line after line to page after page, under my Dads dancing fingers …)

But I digress: Some of you probably already know it, but maybe it'll help one or another: Library of Congress has a very nice page explaining the MARC21 relators, and somewhere on their pages there are also one with links to various local pages with translations and such.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote