View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Iread
Iread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Ectaco JetBook Lite
Buy Now or Wait?

I am new to the forum and looking for my first ereader. I need to spend as little as possible. I am looking for a reader that my 10-year-old son and I could both use, possibly buying a second reader in the future if funds allow.

I would like to buy the JetBook Lite, thinking that my son would use the built-in dictionary. I am hoping that words will also translate between English and Spanish on the reader. It would be extra-nice if words would translate from Latin, Hebrew & Greek to English and vice/versa, but I don't think those languages are on the reader. I like the fact that batteries are easily interchangeable on the Lite. It is also important to me that the ink technology makes reading easy on the eyes.

We have a home school program that contains a large number of classic public domain books on CD in TIF format. I would like to be able to read those on the reader. I'm hoping Calibre will convert the files and make that possible. I could download them from other sources, but would like the original book with pictures (as is on the CD) if possible. I looked at the Astak Pocket Pro, because Astak reads TIF without converting, but there is no dictionary or foreign language on the Pocket Pro, and I think I would prefer the ink technology of the Lite.

I looked at the JetBook Mini, but that doesn't seem to have the dictionary/languages that the Lite has.

NewEgg has the Lite on sale for $99, and that includes a leather case and free shipping. Someone else posted that a few weeks ago, the same unit sold for $69 at NewEgg (minus the case, not sure about shipping). I don't know how, as I've been watching that website carefully, but I missed that sale. Now I'm looking for advice. Besides general advice about whether the Lite will perform the functions I think it will, I'd like your opinion on whether I should buy the Lite now, or wait in case the price drops again. I hope that the Lite won't be discontinued now that the Mini is being produced. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but don't want to be so frugal that I miss out on getting it altogether.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Iread is offline   Reply With Quote