View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #246
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have some new bits to add to my cord cutting adventure. Currently my set-up is:
  • Boxee Box [living room]- used mostly for streaming my own content, TWiT, Revision 3, Netflix and a few other apps. Where possible I prefer to use the Boxee Box because it has the best picture quality.
  • Roku x 2 [living room and office] - used mostly for Amazon streaming [Prime, rentals and paid content], Hulu+ and YouTube [prettier on Boxee but easier to navigate on Roku - and yes, I have the grandfathered YouTube private channel that is no longer available]
  • Walltenna [living room] - for local HD channels [CBS, NBC and local KTLA 5], the wall antennas are very fickle. Sometimes I can get more channels and sometimes not. It even changes throughout the day. I live in a condo, so a regular roof antenna is difficult to do. I previously used a Leaf antenna with about the same results with and without a signal booster.
  • Leaf Antenna [office] - this one gets all the major networks because I'm able to put the Leaf antenna in a window [can't in the living room] but it can also change throughout the day. I have a smaller TV in the office so I don't use it as much.
  • Philips SWW1890/27 Wireless HD Net Connect - this allows me to stream directly from my laptop to my TV. It's good for those times when Hulu+ forces me to use a computer to watch a show. I tried using a 15 foot HDMI cable so I could easily control the laptop but I think the weight of the cable being strung out was bad for the HDMI ports on the TV and the laptop [I would lose the conntection to the TV if I moved the laptop too much]. The Philips solved that problem but image quality doesn't seem to be as good as the Boxee but that could be a problem with the laptop itself [damaged HDMI port?] or maybe the distance from the receiver. Also the connector to the laptop runs hot, so I don't like to use it for long periods of time.

The big new addition is the Kindle Fire HD with it's HDMI out. Even without it being rooted, it covers all the services I currently use with apps [built-in, downloaded from Amazon or sideloaded from XDA and 1Mobile Market].

Last night, I discovered [actually Amazon recommended] an app called DroidTV. It's a subscription app that costs $8.99 every three months that will download many shows to my KFHD. Last night, I marathoned season 5 of True Blood which I can't even purchase yet from Amazon. The shows do not stream to the Fire, they must be downloaded and it takes a while but it can be set up to download your show automatically overnight. The shows are also commercial free. The highest quality you will get is 480p HD but that's fine for a 7 inch screen. Some episodes were really clean and clear and others not so much. I had 6 shows on the Fire at one time and I still had quite a bit of room left.

Since most of the CBS shows I like are missing from Hulu+, I'll use this app to download those shows instead of buying them for $2 per episode.

If you have an Andoid device, you may want to give DroidTV a try.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote