Thread: DRM confusion
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #60
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitabi View Post
PDF and other textbook formats are not that great on eBook readers if you can get them at all.
I said "text-based": that includes .txt, .mobi, .prc and .epub. PDF is often formatted to 5" and 6" screens, too.

Quote:
Plus the editing and typesetting on a lot of these books tend to be atrocious
It happens, I'm sure, but then I've also had less than stellar experience with commercial epubs.

Quote:
Very different from a ripped cd. CD/DVD drives and sofware are more widespread than OCR's and scanning a pbook is much more tedious than ripping a disk.
I'm not sure how many of these books really are scanned. Some, I suppose, especially the older ones. Newer ones are usually converted directly from digital sources.

Quote:
For the moment, I remain unconvinced that the publishers are under the same kind of pressure that the recording industry was under.
We'll see. The ebook movement is not going to go away, at any rate, and they're bound to realize at some point (the way the music industry has, to a degree) that it's better to offer legitimate alternatives than simply complain about rampant copyright violations.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote