View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #67
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The biggest thing for me, is that you don't really "own" your eBook. You are very restricted in what you can do with one. Want to give it to a friend after you're done with it? Nope, can't do that. Want to move from one eReader platform to another? Sorry, incompatible formats and DRM.
DRM is not a problem for anyone with moderate technical know-how. I've bought over a hundred books from Amazon, and they are all safely, locally stored. I'll never lose access to them, and given Calibre's capabilities, I can convert them to HTML, ePub, etc, and read them anywhere I want.

If your objection to DRM is a principled, philosophical one, then it makes no difference whether DRM-removal is feasible. However, you pointed to specific drawbacks of DRM schemes, which leads me to believe you object for pragmatic reasons. In that case, DRM shouldn't count as a downside of ebooks, unless you abhor fiddling with a with a few plugins and software that allow such removal.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote