View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The biggest thing for me, is that you don't really "own" your eBook. You are very restricted in what you can do with one. Want to give it to a friend after you're done with it? Nope, can't do that. Want to move from one eReader platform to another? Sorry, incompatible formats and DRM. A provider like Amazon could remove your access to your eBooks (technically very easy for them to do, but they'd face customer backlash for sure!)

So Mr. eBook Publisher/Supplier, if you want me to accept your restrictions, don't expect me to happily pay the same or more for your product than for a paper book that has NONE of your restrictions. Sure, I could cram 1000 books onto my eReader. But since I only read one book at a time, who cares? Sure, I could have near instant access to a new eBook. But I've already got several feet of shelf space taken up by books in queue to be read. I don't need "instant".

There are certainly benefits to eBooks over paper books too. But for me, the negatives outweigh the positives when you take the retail prices charged into account. Free library eBooks, sale eBooks, independently published eBooks and the like will grab my interest (in other words, "the inexpensive ones"). But a full-priced eBook that equals or exceeds the cost of it's paper sibling, all the while full of restrictions and DRM? Not very often. If you want to give us less, you have to charge us less. "Full priced eBook" means I'll buy a "used paperback copy" instead, 95% of the time.
Hi. I only do on sale and free ebooks. I do have a huge TBR.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote