View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcdonald View Post
So I read the specs for both and unless my eyes are deceiving me they are going to use the same chips and both going dual core so explain all this hooplah that somehow the fire will be faster? As for content I can vouch for the fact that I have had many people up here frustrated by the lack of ability to put apps, movies, etc on their kindle fires in Canada, books are fine but if you are just buying books why would you get an Fire instead of a regular kobo or kindle. Personally I'm excited to see all three of these devices and what Kobo might do with them. As for the Nexus 7 (which severely tempts me on a daily basis) I don't think the ARC is aimed at people who would ever buy a Nexus it's aimed at readers and those who want a more smooth reading experience with the extra benefits of email, web, etc. if they need it. In any case the really exciting thing for me is to see if the new cases they are touting which turn the reader on and off when you open and close the case are compatible with my touch or will involve an upgrade to a glo.
I'll retract my statement about the Arc being totally obsolete prior to release; When they stated processor speed, they hadn't mentioned the chip they were going to use; I did find a review on CNet that does mention that it's using the same chip as the announced Kindle Fire HD, which is a Dual Core TI OMAP 4470 (the original and upgraded Kindle Fire used/uses the 4430 chip, although I'm reading varying reports on what the Fire HD 7" will use vs Fire HD 8"). These chips, contrary to what's been posted here, do indeed have dedicated GPU's, and the 4470 has been compared favourably to the Tegra 3 chip from Nvidia, which is of course a 4 core CPU (and multi core GPU).

That said, the I think the Arc is still inferior overal. The Main reasons would be that while the Arc has a camera and has a nice screen over the Fire2, but the Fire2 costs $40 less.

The Fire HD, and we'll just talk about the 7", is definitely better because, while at the same price point as the Arc, has the extra system ram memory (2GB vs 1GB), larger starting storage (16GB vs 8GB), and Dual band, dual antenna Mimo Wifi (this is actually really cool). The only downside is that it doesn't have access to the Play store, and it was recently mentioned that all Fire tablets will have advertisements in the screensavers and lock screens with no rebated version to go with it(Really crappy).. But, overall, it's even better than the Nexus 7, which makes me sad .

In any case, the release of all these tablets, along with the upcoming ipads, and windows machines, should bring some interesting developments in the hardware world over the next holiday season.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote