Thread: Classic Hard nook case?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
Well, the box that my nook came in was made out of cardboard, not plastic, and seems rather limited in durability. And I wish I to re-emphasize (and I hope I don't sound rude) that I am looking for a case not a cover. The reason being that even the most well-built cover (such as the Bookarmor) is not self-supporting, i.e. it puts pressure on the unit that it is covering. The Industrell (or however you spell it) also has the same flaw, so despite the fact that it is incredibly strong, should the nook sustain a hard blow, the cover would simple cave and all the pressure would be put on the unit, which would be destroyed. I am looking for something self-supporting case (such as a box, toolbox, guitar case) to protect the unit; a case that will provide protection and not put pressure on the unit.

The reason I am looking for such a cover is that I carry my nook to school with me on a regular basis. This means having to put the device in a bag full of other (sometimes heavy) objects, and having to deal with whatever morons are walking around on campus. Right now I carry my nook in the original box, which provides some protection. However I am still nervous that if I set down my bag the wrong way and it falls over the unit might break; or if some idiot comes charging across campus and runs into my bag, the effect may be the same.

This would not be first something like this happened to an expensive electronic device of mine, which is why I am asking.
I've been using my wife's hand-me-down m-edge case (she bought not realizing it would be a tight fit for her Kindle 2). Between the fact that the nook's screen is a bit recessed, and the padding on the m-edge case, I'm sure it offers enough protection. I have mine tossed in my book bag with my school books, no problems. I know what you are talking about - but with a decent padded case, it should be fine. You know, just like a laptop or a phone screen is OK in a bag.

You might like this though:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51212001...rder=&includes

I got one of these from this etsy seller (different design). It feels like a hardcover book cover. Since it has a binding of sorts and it is stiff, it tends to put any pressure on the binding / cover, rather than sinking in the middle. I still use mine sometimes (attaches with Velcro).

This should be EXACTLY you are looking for, though. A wooden, stiff case for the nook.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52051129...h-ebony-finish

He's got a few of them.

I considered one of these myself, being in the same sort of situation as you.

The stuff at etsy is basically small sellers making handmade stuff. It's a pretty cool site.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-31-2010 at 02:41 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote