View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby24 View Post

I was given a non-functional Kindle Keyboard. It was never used, never registered, actually it was never taken out of the box for over a year.
The worst thing you can do to any battery is to let it go dead and leave it that way for an extended period. Try that with your car battery and you'll see. That ruins batteries.

In the case of an electronic device with a lithium ion battery, such as the Kindle, there's an additional issue. Lithium ion batteries become dangerous to recharge if they become dead. Doing so can cause them to catch fire or even explode. To prevent that they have circuitry that, once they've gone completely dead, won't let them take any charge.

The battery university website has a detailed write-up on caring for lithium ion batteries and part of that is an explanation of that problem. It's worth reading.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Your best bet is see if Amazon will offer a discount on a replacement. Sometimes they do that. If not, you might look for a replacement battery. Newpower99.com has them as do other sites. They include the tools you need and a video showing how to replace it.

If you don't do that I'd take the Kindle to a place that takes in old batteries and safely disposes of them. Walmart used to do that. I guess they still do. Other places do it, also. Lithium is dangeruos stuff. You don't want to just toss it in the trash.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote