Thread: book cover
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
nixwinter
nixwinter began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
good morning!!!

I am so very grateful for you all's help!

I'm just a broke little writer/comic person. When I get this to work, and I can get this book sold through the ipad, and look decent while it's there, I shall offer you both a picture or story of your choice!

but... for today...

Here is where I'm trying to validate:

http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

I have a couple of files that will validate, but no covers. The cover is really important if I have any hope of paying my rent.

Just changing the extension from epub to zip and back to epub will cause the file to fail validation. (Makes me think the validation system is too crazy difficult, but that's another issue.)

Paulpeer: ) Go back to the ePub version before you started editing it (I hope you have made a backup). 2) Open the ZIP file and open the OPF file.

Me: *goes to do* Okay.. .the .opf file will open without changing the name, if I just point it towards Textwrangler... Also, I didn't change the name of the epub to zip... just pointed it towards stuffit expander

Paulpeer: 3) Since you have added the cover picture before, most of the meta data are already there. The only thing you should add is
Code:
<meta name="cover" content="cover-image" />
in the metadata section.

Me: *thinks... meta data section*.. *wonders if that's like the nose bleed section at the ballet* So there must be other meta data... I'll put it next to the other meta data *looks* Yup.. there was other meta data and I put it right below it... next step!

Paulpeer: 4) Now you have to change the word "cover-image" to the name Sigil gave to your cover image. This can be found in the manifest section of the same file. It is probably something like img0001.jpg (if you made your ePub with Sigil) and the name is preceded by id=

Me: This should not me as scary as it is... it's just some files. *slaps back of hand to palm* I can do this! Okay... Manifest section of the same file.... so.. in this same file I have open *looks* There it is! Labled with the <manifest> tag! *cheers*
okay.. so not this one: href="Images/shelly_Silveroak.jpg" but this one... id="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" and probably just shelly_Silveroak.jpg So I've made it:

<meta name="cover" content="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" />

I think I did it right. But it imports into itunes without a cover, and now it doesn't validate.

OPF file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>The House of Silver Oak</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Nix Winter</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="CustomID">shelly_Silveroak.jpg</dc:identifier>
<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.2.0"/>
<meta name="cover" content="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
<item id="shelly_Silveroak.jpg" href="Images/shelly_Silveroak.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item id="Section0001.xhtml" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="Section0002.xhtml" href="Text/Section0002.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Section0001.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="Section0002.xhtml"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover Page" href="Text/Section0001.xhtml"/>
</guide>
</package>

Validation Errors:

17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub is NOT valid
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 34
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: Required META-INF/container.xml resource is missing
Check finished with warnings or errors!
Preflight report
Epubpreflight runs some of the same validation as epubcheck, but additionally checks for problems like very large file sizes that might affect some reading systems.
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: mimetype entry missing or not the first in archive
ERROR: 17nwinter_silver copy.epub Folder.epub: META-INF/container.xml is missing
Check finished with warnings or errors!
nixwinter is offline   Reply With Quote