View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
etn
etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Pocketbook
I have had an 8" Inkpad 3 (not X) since 2017; early 2020 I wanted a 10" to read PDFs for some university courses I took. I too was balancing the Inkpad X vs Boox Note 2.
My reason for considering the Inkpad X was the overall good experience I've had with Pocketbook. I eventually chose the Note 2 for the following reasons: (in no particular order of importance)

1) more flash memory than the Inkpad (64 vs - IIRC - 32 GB in the Inkpad)
Epubs are usually small but PDFs can take many more megabytes. I like to take my entire library with me when going on long trips.

2) 8-core processor + more RAM: my Inkpad 3 is "fast enough" but no speed demon. The Note 2 is a monster in comparison!

3) Android: I originally didn't care about the OS but am glad it runs Android. This enables reading the (very few) Kindle books I own through the Kindle app.

4) Just wanted to try something else for a change...

After almost 1 year of use, here's my feedback on the Note 2:
- it's fast!
- despite the 10" size, it is light (I usually take it pretty much everywhere with me)
- battery lasts about 2-3 weeks with around 3 hours of use per day. I use it only for reading (no note taking) with usually low levels of light.
- I like the fact that the reader allows to configure touch fields. I configured mine as follows: top left to decrease font size, top right to increase font size, top center to change light level, left middle to turn page back, center for the menu, right middle and the entire bottom of the screen to jump to next page.
- the Boox cover is nice and offers good protection + magnetic switch on / off when you open / close the lid.

(Minor) negative points of the Note 2 (none of which are deal breaker)
- my girlfriend and I borrow ebooks from the library (onleihe.de). Her Tolino and my Pocketbook support the DRM, I never managed to make it work on the Note 2.
- I wish it had physical page turn buttons like the Pocketbook
- jumping to footnotes is a chore: the reader shows the link but the area you need to touch is so small it is easily missed. This works much better on the Pocketbook.

Other comments:
- forget about the screen protection. I never managed to put it on without bubbles. But I realized the device does not really need one. (I would never use my ipad without screen protection, which also makes the screen less glossy. No such issue with the Boox + Onyx cover)
- I like the fact that both Pocketbook and Boox do not lock you into an ecosystem like e.g. Kindles do. (That's why I'll never buy a Kindle)

Onyx just released the Note 3 and Note Air, which is a slight upgrade to the Note 2 - mainly Android 10 and a somewhat faster system. It seems that Note 2 are sold at a discount, therefore now might be the best time to get one. It seems also that they sell it for the price of the Note Air, but you get much more with the Note 2. (Disclaimer: the last paragraph is based on a limited research, I might be wrong here)

Hope this helps

etn
etn is offline   Reply With Quote