View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #51
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wow. I'm surprised. I've listened to her narration of other books in the Maggie Hope series, and certainly did not have a negative reaction, although I prefer Donada Peters, who narrated the first book.

Duerden didn't elicit any strong opinions from me; I neither look for her narrated books nor try to avoid them.
At the start of the book, my reaction was mearly "oh, this reader isn't as nice as the first". By the end of 2 hours, it was really grating on my ears.

I wouldn't automatically avoid her in some other series, she has a good voice and I think she could read more conventionally if she wanted or was directed that way.

I read some Audible reviews before posting here to see if I was alone in my reaction. The reviews on the reading of book 2 were pretty bad, to the extent that many mentioned dropping the audio version in favor of print.

Less was mentioned in later reviews, but I figured those were by people who didn't mind the reading style of the first few and continued on.

I suppose it depends on what you're used to hearing. I notice that sing song lilt if anyone uses it around me. I listened to one of the HR people talk to our group for about 5 minutes yesterday and I couldn't focus on what she was saying because I kept noticing that intonation, even though she doesn't do it as strongly or frequently as the book.

Last edited by Alohamora; 03-17-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote