Thread: Database Fork
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
I think he wants to make it the main (and only) database. Now I'm no DBA, but it has me very scared.

Because you see, devils_add, if your DB is scattered into thousands of little XML files inside thousands of .zip, then you'll have to open all of those .zip and read all of those XML files every time you want to do anything, like, say, list titles. If you want to _search_, it's even worse, because then you'll have to open it all up again, _then_ make cross-references for basically every single field of every single XML file.

That's pure insanity. There's a reason DBMSs have been around since the '70. It's because it _works_.

Now XML/OPF files have their use, but database queries ain't it.

As someone who once had to convert an old, OLD flat-file-based DB to Access (which is still not a real database but less wrong), I beg you: spare yourself the pain.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote