Thread: Bad Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way I look at it, if the author cannot be interesting in 140 pages, it's not worth bothering with.
I disagree with this statement. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss starts out really slow and boring. I was just about to give up (and I am a compulsive reader, I have to finish unless the book in unbearably crappy) when things picked up, and it turned out to be the best fantasy book I read that year.

And I have read the entire Kushiel's Dart (Phedre) trilogy and I recognize that they also start slow and that the author's style is unpolished in the first half of the novel. But then things get better and more interesting. It's not the kind of fantasy that keeps you at the edge of the seat, but for me it was still entertaining, I liked the whole concept of whoring as a religion .
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote