View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedtwizzles View Post
Thank you so much for this! I didn't know about the metadata management options to make this work.

A silly question from a novice though: do I need to re-send to device to get the shelves to go on there? And will this overwrite the copy on my Kobo Touch or will it delete the one one there & add a new one? I only ask because I'd like to preserve my read/unread/currently x% through counts.
Not a silly question at all.

If you have the metadata management set to auto, the shelves are maintained when you connect. They are also updated when you send a book. When you send the book it updates the shelves for all books in the library that are on the device.

If you resend the book, it just replaces the file on the device. The reading state doesn't get changed. There are some problems with this. Different firmware versions react differently to replacing the file. If you simple copy the same file over unchanged, it should be OK. But, if there are changes, different things happen. FW 1.9.17 didn't care and took the changed book OK. FW 2.0.0 tended to delete any changed book. 2.0.3 and later generally accept the changes.

There can be problems after the changed book is on the device. If the changes were simple, say spelling or style changes, it should read OK. If there were changes to the file structure in the book, it will generally open but navigation via the TOC might not work. I have had a few occasions when opening the book cause a restart. In each case there had been file structure changes the place the current bookmark pointed to didn't exist anymore.

One last thing, if you change the title or authors in calibre, or the save template, sending the book again will put it in a different place or with a different name. The device will see this as a different book when it loads it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote