View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #48
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Hi,

I have read this thread (through 11 Dec, today) and note that the update seems to work completely for some but not others, for reasons that are unclear. So I am proceeding slowly and cautiously. I am motivated to try this (even if it doesn't completely work), because it doesn't usually break the PE and generally produces some benefits (increased internal storage, speed (?)). And I would like to help the community.

I have downloaded the rc2.zip version that contains the update.zip file (after renaming) and placed that file and the gapps.zip (renamed from the name of the downloadable file on the cyanogenmod WIKI).

Before I proceed further, I wanted to post some questions:

1. This update file is a "golden" one, which means that it deletes everything and does a fresh install. Thus, you can start from any existing install and just apply it, without first flashing to a specific state (eg, dingo)?

1a. I am especially interested in this question because I have a process (in addition to Google Talk authentication) that almost always force closes "spontaneously" shortly after bootup (the upload process).

2. Prior to wiping out the data files and apps added to the Pocket Edge, one should these up to an external medium. A backup of "Library" files has been routinely recommended, but shouldn't all files added to the PE that one wants to protect be backed up? If yes, are there any nonobvious "support" files that might be added in the course of installing apps that a noobie like myself might not think to make a copy of.

2a. Is there a difference in doing a backup of the Library folder and making copies of the files inside it (or in other locations)? I note that the backup procedure yields .esi files and I assume that these are restorable to the original .pdfs or other non-esi format files?

3. I don't have an Android phone or other device that is "normally" registerable in the market. I assume that some folks without a registered or -able) device HAVE successfully used this approach?

4. Pablob mentioned that in the /data directory there is a subdirectory /userdata. I don't have it on my Ermine'd PE. Is this added by the golden Allmine flash?

Thanks for the work you (pablob) and others (especially vicinc, nikki, kenminot (sp?) and ktwombly) have done in getting to this point. Apologies for not listing the others who have also provided yeoman service - I can't recall their names at the moment and the reply mechanism shuts down if I take too much time.

Steve

P.S. It did it to me while I was writing the note. I have learned to always copy it before pushing the button.
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote