View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #75
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
But you really are thinking wishfully (huh?) if you think that tablet sales do not affect eReaders. They do. For every person you know who buys a tablet and an eReader, there are a dozen who will not buy an eReader because "I can just read my books on my iPad/Kindle Fire/Nexus 7." The last two, in particular, are a threat to eReaders because unlike the chunkier and heavier and more ungainly 10" tablets, 7" tablets have a comfortable enough form factor that they *can* be used for reading in comfort.

eReaders might not have wanted to compete with tablets, but they have been dragged into it, nonetheless, even if not by choice.
Exactly afa. Those of us in the eReader in-crowd know all of the benefits of reading on E Ink, but those who are more lured into the web browsing/movie viewing features of a tablet will be willing to get used to the LCD eyestrain. I have been very happily reading on my Nexus 7 for the past four weeks, and in the right lighting conditions, I feel that text looks better on LCD. The letters are sharp, the background is white; everything current E Ink displays are not. I would much prefer an HD E Ink screen, but until that happens, I would be willing to read on a tablet.

"eReaders might not have wanted to compete with tablets, but they have been dragged into it, nonetheless, even if not by choice."
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote