View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #40
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Weak glue, my butt. I almost died opening this thing.

(On the day it arrived, naturally, what else do you do right out of the box? Cut a hole in the back, for the glory of satan, of course!).

There are two rings of glue on this thing, one outer ring (outer rim of the device all around), and an inner ring where it's glued to the display (or light layer) itself. And it's not just a little glue either, but a ton of it. Trying to pry it off, naturally everything bends along with it. Do you have any idea how scary it is to see the display bend, or rather the light layer I guess...

I do not recommend opening this device. Not unless you're really desperate...

Putting it back together, it does not look quite the way it used to. The gap between device and bezel became noticably larger, I think mainly because the glue kind of clumped together while trying to pry it off and those lumps in the glue now prevent a perfect fit; I also think the display shifted a fraction of a millimeter, cause now if I look at the reader at an angle, I can see a white rim at the top on the all black powered off screen, which I didn't notice before.

My pictures aren't much better - sorry about that.

The firmware image, made before anything else, is 257M in size (compressed). After putting it all back together and activating it for the first time, it did a firmware update right away, so not sure which firmware version it is in the image. Didn't have time to look at it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7962.png.jpg
Views:	1633
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	132255   Click image for larger version

Name:	12231.png.jpg
Views:	1911
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	132256   Click image for larger version

Name:	13491.png.jpg
Views:	1385
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	132257   Click image for larger version

Name:	25687.png.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	132258   Click image for larger version

Name:	26999.png.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	132260  

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.