View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Looks like pietvo gave perfect advice for changing the margins on the titlepage, but I was going to suggest trying gmeometric package, which allows you to use different geometry-package settings in different parts of the document. I don't have a lot of experience with that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
@frabjous
Yes, when I browsed through your files there wasn't so much math in it. I was thinking more about the things in the background of the website that you mentioned. I remember that I read a Russel book a long time ago when I was a student that had that kind of notation.
The background image is a modified scan of a page of Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica, which I GIMPed up to make it look aged and coffee-stained. You probably don't have the complete book (which is a three volume behemoth, published from 1910-1914), but you might have an abridgment.

Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy was written as sort of a beginner-friendly non-technical introduction to Principia Mathematica. Anyway, the background is just a scan, though I definitely wouldn't think to try to recreate that kind of technical material with anything but (Xe)LaTeX. I wouldn't even try to convert to HTML unless MathML were an option.

And unfortunately, SVG support isn't much better than MathML support right now.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote