View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
And to move away from eInk would just be plain stupid
Unless you're aware of some competing technology that I'm not, then yes, it would be stupid at the moment.
There is a competing technology: LCD.

The only real benefit of Eink is it uses less energy than an LCD. But if you have the Eink screen in a reader with a moderately powerful CPU, the power savings are negligible. Most of the power is consumed by the electronics, not the screen.

So far, the only device that actually showed the benefit of an Eink screen was the PRS-500. Mine had a 3 week battery life. (I think the reason it had such great battery life was good hardware design, not the screen.) The Cybook and Kindle get about a week, and from what I've heard the 505 gets around 2 weeks.

I have several devices that have a battery life of a week or more. Almost all have LCD screens.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote