View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #97
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberocity View Post
I may be wrong, but have done a lot of reading on this subject over the years, and as such, felt compelled to respond. Why, oh why do I read these posts? lol anyway, the way I understand A-GPS is that it can be a full GPS circuit that receives information from satellites as well as Wi-Fi or cell towers (the assisted part) which would be the best of both worlds.
This is correct.
Quote:
However, A-GPS can also be dependent on a connection whether cellular or Wi-Fi to download maps which in most case, is cost prohibitive if using you GPS on the run. This type of A-GPS is the least desired as you absolutely need a connection to the net or a cellular connection to load you data, and this type is the least accurate depending on the maps used, but is perfectly fine in most cases for a correct landing at your intended residential or business destination.
This has nothing to do with A-GPS. A-GPS is only about how your location is determined, and how quickly. The question of maps is a separate issue: you can have regular GPS *or* A-GPS with (or without) streamed maps. Also, sometimes streamed maps are more accurate because they are updated more frequently. But, again, nothing to do with A-GPS.
Quote:

Also, I read somwhere TomTom maps though not equal to Garmin's in the USA, are preferred in European markets. That last comment was a comment from someone who lived in Europe so take it for what it's worth. Hope this sheds a tad more light on the situation. Take care all.
This was the conventional wisdom 5 years or so ago; I don't know if it's still the case.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote