View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Let me be brutally honest: Who cares? The fact is that strive as it may, EPUB as it is now is not an universal format and books in it must be modified for different implementations (e.g. Adobe DE as implemented on PRS-505 will not display international characters unless the EPUB is specifically modified, it will crash the Reader on certain CSS constructs [sadly, I can't remember what it was, but it "worked" quite dependably], etc.; other implementations have their own specific quirks that need to be addressed). Does it really matter if there is one more thing to fix?

Also, get back from the academic paradise to the real world. As Kovid said, most sources are not valid XHTML. The conversion process then must decide whether it will be strict or whether it will be usable (consider what would happen to a web browser which refused to render invalid pages!).
I get accented characters with ePub just fine on my 505 using Fontin (font family).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote