View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #74
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I won't speak for everybody, but there's stuff I watch on television where I am waaaaaay more mentally engaged than I am when reading certain books.
Well, I'm not saying that all books are deep and intellectually challenging.

While what you say is true, with a movie you're dragged along willy-nilly. If you're thinking and analyzing too much you're going to miss what's going on on the screen. With a book you can slow down or even stop reading.

There's rarely a movie (that's not a comedy) where I can't invariably see places where it had flaws in the logic, but I don't really think about them until after the movie is over. While watching it I'm too busy paying attention to do that sort of analysis.

And with a book you have to imagine what things look like or how they sound whereas with a movie it's all done for you. To me that's a big part of books being a less passive activity.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote