View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #71
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
How is sitting and being a couch potato watching TV any more detrimental to your well-being than sitting in the same spot and reading?
Watching TV or a movie is much more of a mentally passive activity than reading a book. If I were to compare reading vs TV I'd use reading magazines or tabloids, not books. Both magazines/tabloids and TV are more geared towards the lowest common denominator with quick and easy entertainment not requiring much thinking.

The other thing about movies and TV that's interesting, to me at least, is that with books you can have two different styles of story telling, the first person narrative and the third person narrative. With the first person narrative the story is told by the central character as they experience it. With the third person narrative the writer tells the story; with it they can jump to different characters, and they can describe what's going on in the minds of the different characters. A movie is like a first person narrative except that everything is seen through the eyes of the camera, and as with the first person narrative we don't learn about what the characters are thinking unless they say or do something.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote