View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 12:49 AM   #66
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
According to the Washington Post, the over-65 crowd is most responsible - and most at risk - from statistics that show that reading time is dropping as television time continues to climb, with implications for their well-being.

I'm not part of the demographic examined here; I also don't watch television at all, no doubt a major reason I read far more than the 15 minutes per day average for all Americans. Unfortunately the verbiage is mushy; what exactly do they mean by screentime? I do wish that I'd get caught up in the abyss that is the internet somewhat less, since it's mostly at the expense of reading time. I always feel somewhat disgruntled once I finish chasing a particular rabbit, because why?

But for all I think the article should have been better, I tend to agree with its premise and wonder why seniors don't read? They're the last lingering cohort of those who grew up reading for pleasure, from back in the days when there were only three networks and limited options. Especially now with options for digital reading which make reading accessible to those whose physical limitations might have prevented them from reading with enjoyment, or reading at all.
It is always a mistake to generalize too much. I am 79 and have always loved reading, and in my old age I read more than I did when I was younger simply because I have more time (ereaders were a Godsend for me). I hardly watch TV and don't spend much time on the internet except for reading the news, researching something, and looking for books or listening to music. Many young people don't read much and when they get old are not likely to read much either.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote