View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
You don't have to be paranoid to be concerned about privacy. Privacy is being bartered for convenience. We all have to decide what we are willing to give up, or if we are willing to give up anything for our privacy. We are still at the early stage of techno-spying. There may come a day when none of us are very cavalier about who knows what we read, watch, where we go, and what we do. And there may come a day when what we do freely now could get us fined, labeled, cost us a job, or even lead to us being imprisoned.
There are countries where even now reading certain books can get you thrown in jail.
I'm not interested in discussing it all that much. Suffice to say: I'm not fooling myself about anything (my eyes are wide open). I just don't place much value on what others seem to get all worked up about "losing." I don't think we ever "had" it in the first place, to be quite frank. You proselytizing about how valuable our privacy should be to us just doesn't move me. It's nothing personal; it's just what ftorres said: we have different value systems. Yours isn't mine and vice versa. So it goes.

My concerns about the practice being discussed in this thread are based exclusively on security. I don't care in the slightest what someone might try to glean about my reading habits. I care about whether or not the mechanisms for collecting said data leave my device vulnerable to virus/trojans, malware and rootkits.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-09-2015 at 06:07 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote