View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
... for scrolling down, you can always rely on finfo.line_length, which will hold the line length in bytes.
I have been using screeninfo.xres / 2, but your way saves a division.

I am thinking of using the arrow keys to roll the screen up/down/left/right, so that pixels wrap around the screen edges. This means that no off-screen buffer is needed, and after the hack is installed, even a small portion of working screen could be used to view anything on the screen.

I got a broken-screen kindle 3 wi-fi from eBay for free, plus $6 shipping. After I got "Voice Guide" turned on, it is actually somewhat useful even without a screen, but having even a portion of the screen active would be better...

It would be tempting to add more features, such as squeezing whitespace (folding multiple white lines between rows of text into a single white line), and maybe add an on-screen magnifier that is easier to use than the magnify-thingy in the web browser.

It should be easy to activate while reading, perhaps by pressing Next Page (Right>) and Previous Page (Right<) at the same time, and it should probably remember how far the previous page was rolled and start there for the next page too.

Also, I would like to add a GUI shell to launchpad. Not enough time though.

One problem with direct mmap to /dev/fb0 is that the framework sometimes overwrites it. Is there a way to pause the framework without a full "framework stop" and "framework start"?

And for that matter, is it useful to do a "framework startx" instead of "framework start" to start the framework in running in xorg instead of framebuffer mode?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-29-2011 at 06:44 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote