View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #193
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
Wow, thank you. I'm so pleased to see people are still hacking the DR800. I just discovered DR800+, installed it and am pleased so far with the results.

Some exploratory questions, if I may.

1. What is the possibility of running ordinary Linux applications on the DR800. Starting with say xterm, to poke around inside while it is running.
apart from rxvt, take a look at usbnet, as Fehner has already mentioned.

Quote:
2. Then what about easy-debian inside the DR800?
what would be the benefits?

Quote:
3. Then hacking the hardware to do USB hosting, so can plug in a USB keyboard, mouse, etc.
this would be nice.

Quote:
4. And (where I really want to be), running OpenOffice. I've run in on an Freerunner Neo, which I believe has about the same amount of computing power, and it was quite usable, if a little slow.

Or am I just being silly?

Thanks again, Jonathan
no, not silly, but nowdays as my scarce free time I always ask myself about benefits vs. efforts.
Some time ago I ported osmo, a good and small calendar, tasks manager, address book and notes program. But now I do it on my (android) mobile phone, it's a bettter device for those tasks.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote