View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The problem is, very few indie authors hire (or, in many cases, can afford to hire) an editor. Since the big publishing companies don't visit MobileRead and ask what we want to read, it's a fair guess that the OP is (or wants to be) such an indie. That would leave the burden of quality resting squarely on his back, and from that first post, it looks like he dropped it.

Also, we're not talking an entire book here. We're talking a seven-word headline. One would think that someone who wanted to look good to readers would be able to manage to get seven words and their punctuation correct.

Finally, there's the fact that this particular error shows a lack of reading. People who read don't make that error because it just looks wrong. They know what "right" looks like because they read it on an daily basis, so when they get something wrong, they can see right away that it doesn't match what they're used to reading. They might not know how to fix it, but they know something needs to be fixed, and they'll check it where and as necessary to find out what. I trust the writing of a person who doesn't read about as well as I trust driving of a person who only rides buses.

And I have no trust at all in someone whose response to being informed of a flaw in their product is not "oops, I'll fix that right now" but defensiveness and snark.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote