View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaihana Joe View Post
Ok, I've found this method by Liz Castro which does pretty much exactly what I described upthread.

She is recommending her method in the context of iBooks. I created an ePub using her method, sideloaded it into iBooks and the pop-up worked beautifully.

Unfortunately there was no such luck on other platforms. Kindle recognised my tags, but its implementation gave me a new page rather than a pop-up. Other platforms either just jumped to the target text or failed to recognise the tags at all.

Only iBooks hid the target text as intended.
Yes, that's because basically, as much as I love Liz, she's a Jobbleshead to the core. Yes, she tests other platforms, etc., but she loves her some Apple. Naturally those tags won't work, because of all the major retailers, only Apple will support the psuedo-ePUB3 that is required to make that work. (I don't mean that the tags are psuedo-ePUB3; I mean that iBooks is pueudo-ePUB3, caring only about the media aspects, rather than the important stuff. I guess they may as well, as they drove the entire ePUB3 "boat" and the result is All Apple, All The Time.)

While the latest Kindle Fire is beginning to support some ePUB3, the bottom line is that Amazon and B&N are still oriented toward books--things people are reading--rather than multi-media. The two user communities are really very different. It's easily demonstrable though A/B testing with various types of books on the different platforms. I suspect that while the Kindle devices will move toward ePUB3 for a variety of things (like footnoting), it will still be far less multi-media than Apple, for a long time to come. IN the books themselves, I mean.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote