View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The point is that page counts by themselves don't necessarily mean much. They can (as pointed out above) vary by over a hundred pages even within the same "format" of book and without seeing the actual book we are only guessing as to what that means. As I mentioned to latepaul, I tend to look at the "All Editions" link at GR and use either specifically the MMPB format or use an "average" value for the paperback options rather than use just what is shown on Amazon or the first result that shows up at GR. Using the average seems to give me more consistent results.

For words, the word count estimate from BookShout is 120,773, so very close to Calibre's estimate, but even with that I have read books with 115k to 125k words that have lengths less than 300 pages to almost 550 pages and average about 420 pages. Formatting makes such a huge difference, over 120k words a 1 or 2 pt difference in print size can add a lot of pages.
This is why ADE page numbers work really well. They are the most consistent type of page number there are. They don't change based on formatting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote