View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #55
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Double quote marks for dialogue are not a US speciality, just normal English regardless... more likely to be a formatting/typo/setup/OCR repetitive error...

Formal British English uses single quotation marks for dialogue. Formal Australian English usually follows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
All of the dialogue was set off by single quotation marks, so I had assumed that was the way it was done in that part of the world. ... Does anyone know if this is the way it's done in Australia and New Zealand?
Speaking for myself, I've always been taught to use single quotation marks with dialogue, and this is the recommended usage in some local academic style guides. It was certainly something I had to be careful to do at university in certain departments. In Australia however, outside academia, the government and maybe other arenas, it's a mix of British and American practices, or single and double quotation marks.

Also, thanks for the thread. I've been meaning to check out Shayne Parkinson's books for a while.

Last edited by viviena; 04-29-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added some detail
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote