View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #367
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
SYSTEM

STANDARDS...

User KNC1 Just raised a point about centralisation of resource.

He is addressing the age old problem of standardised resource locations for the extensions to reference.

This does two obvious things:
(and a crapload of other "less obvious" things that we are going to ignore)

1) Increases the intitial D/L size.
2) Decreases application bloat through re-use of shared resources.

Libs aside for just one second let's think about binaries...

BINARIES

The big OBVIOUS difference for the range of device would be the swap from 4 to 8 bit FB; Thus any applications that call upon system-supported graphics based libs would likely fail when applied to all devices.

That is "Not Okay." and until a gtk equivalent solution can be provisioned to step around these graphics limitations then it is fair to say that things like a "terminal" won't be in this list.

but other system-based utilities such as BASH - compiled to run on all KUAL supported devices could well make it into there. if anyone wants to add to this pile then using the 2007q3 CS TC is not a bad choice.

ADDING TO THE /mnt/us/extensions/system FOLDER.
in a word "DONT", I'm thinking of making it immutable or something to really really stop people doing that.

GIT

I'm going to setup a GIT repo it will eventually hold a /lib /etc and a /bin folder. and some content.

https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system

If you want something included in a future release put a pull request into that.
AFTER you checked the stuff runs on all devices.

WHY?

Hey. It's not perfect. but it's a start. Personally I'm tired of my HUGE list of stuff in /mnt/us and will be glad to get some (or all) of the support stuff, and (hopefully one day) applications.... all squirrelled away under one folder extensions on all devices.

It's just simpler to maintain.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Right now. Nothing. Keep going ahead building your stuff just like you build it now. I'm noting this stuff down here as an aide mémoire and a slow hopeful wend towards some kinds of standards. The list of failed attempts to standardise development on the kindle is long and dull.

Not keen for this to go on that list.

Just be aware as a developer there may be some extra options soon

MAKE IT WORK!

And yes. You guys who build for the touch with gtk.. if you simply build two versions. one targetting the older FB versions of the graphics libs and one targetting the newer X versions this works to make an application that has a version for all devices.

I will demonstrate that principle RSN.

I'm playing with the idea of exporting these things "run-time" on a first-pass check basis.
still unsure about that. in fact the delivery details are a bit hazy all-in.

more later.

Last edited by twobob; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote