View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
Unbricking after firmware 2.0 update dancing squares

Hi,
Like some others who updated to v2.0 firmware my Kobo ended up with an infinite dancing squares problem.

All the steps below I got from other posts. Thanks to the original posters who worked things out. I'm just putting it all in one place. Pardon any mistakes.

This unbricking procedure will get you to the state you can reload your Calibre epubs. It won't get you to the state where you can sync via Kobo Desktop and load your purchased books.

The steps are:
1. Do a factory reset using on/off slider and home button
2. Load up a previous version firmware
3. Add a dummy user account to the Kobo
4. sideload your epubs

1) Factory Reset. I don't know the exact combination, I've been fiddling about at random, please don't complain if you have problems. I think I got my factory reset by
a) plugging into power
b) turning off by sliding power button till dancing squares stop dancing
c) slide on
d) quickly press home button.
The red light should flash and then the Kobo rapidly flashes white as it is reformatting to your factory state. You Kobo will hopefully now be in factory condition
If someone can post the definitive factory reset procedure please do so in a clear manner that others can duplicate.

2) Load a previous version of the firmware. (or keep it factory fresh it you prefer)
This post has v 1.9.17, search the forums for other versions if you like.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=27
a) Download the file
b) Connect your Kobo and open the file structure in explorer. Look for the .kobo folder and unzip the files from the firmware file into it.
c) Eject and then unplug your Kobo.
Your Kobo should install your new (old) firmware

3) Add a dummy user account
Your Kobo will not recognise any added books until a user account is added. Normally you do this via the desktop app. However until the firmware 2.0 issue is fixed, this will just get you back to brick state.
This thread has details on the procedure. There are a number of ways, below was mine.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171664
Google for a program called sqlitebrowser and run it.
Open the file KoboReader.sqlite in the .kobo folder and execute the command
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','foo','foo','foo','foo') using the SQL command executer (Third tab I think)
Save your database.

4) Eject and then unplug. Turn off and on. Now plug back in and try loading a book or two via Calbre.

Hopefully your Kobo is now working.

I've tried a number of ways to get 2.0 to work. None did. Any help would be appreciated.
1) Normal sync by Desktop.
2) Manual loading v2.0 firmware:
a) Capture the v2.0 firmware. As Desktop app downloads it saves a zip file to
C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kobo3-update-2.0.0.zip in Win7 (I suppose it will be something similiar in NT). After it is downloaded it is sent to the Kobo, then is deleted. If you watch this file at the same time you are downloading you can copy/paste it somewhere else before it is deleted. You have to be quick.
b) factory reset and manual update as per steps above. Tried from factory firmware and a later firmware version..didn't work.
3) Updated by waiting a hour, also let the Kobo run all night dancing with squares with power on it and it still didn't update properly.

Please fix this problem Kobo. I'd really like to try out the new features everyone else is. Can't buy any books till I can sync via Desktop app again.
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote