View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am self-publishing, but direct through my own website.

I tried using Kindle and Smashwords, and considered others; but I discovered that as a small author, I received very little publicity on the big sites, and therefore, few sales... and the sites took a significant amount "off the top," leaving a significantly smaller piece of the pie for me.

I also had the ability to make a nice-looking site and set up automatic sales and delivery on my own, so I did that. I make much more through direct sales than I ever did through Amazon or Smashwords.

Much of this depends on a few factors: Subject (mine is sci-fi, not a popular genre these days); ability to create your own site (not recommended for HTML newbies); and ability to network and promote your material through the big sites (mostly a time issue, of which I have little).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote