View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #134
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but this argument is pure sophistry. You know as well as I do that the deal is a cheaper price in return for the ads. What you've done certainly isn't illegal but it is, to my mind, at the very least, unethical.
Aha... sure. I actually paid a *higher* price for the KT SO version than I would have paid for the non-SO version (which has only been made available half a year later here). It wasn't available at the time, so I had to find solutions to have it shipped to Europe from the States, and that's not exactly cheap.
Anyway: there is no "deal". Yes, it's logical from Amazon's point of view to understand it that way, but that doesn't make it a deal. A deal is when both sides agree. Call that sophistry, call it unethical... frankly, I don't care.

Quote:
You're complaining that Amazon have locked down the Kindle, but it seems to me that you've brought this situation entirely upon yourself. If people didn't do things like 3G tethering, ad removal, etc, there would be no reason for lockdowns. As it stands, you have only yourself to blame.
So then why did Amazon already start to aggressively obfuscate and lock down their 5.1.0 version, and even more the 5.2.0 one? They don't want us to mess with what they consider "their" devices, that's all. They want us to be happy consumer sheep who just eat what they allow us to eat.

Oh... and why is their very first request, whenever you turn Wifi on on a registered Paperwhite, "send me all your log files"? (No, I'm not kidding). Ok, this is getting off-topic.... but is that kind of snooping around "ethical"?

Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-17-2012 at 02:21 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote