View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My 505 has been wonderful. I'd like a modern version of that. I know I'm not going to get a perfect match but want something as close as possible. I don't need web-browsing or a front-lit screen (eyestrain inducing, I'd imagine, even if the light is even and uncoloured). Just a reader.
I wouldn't over think it too much. If you really like your 505, then you'll probably be happiest with the latest Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The T2 is the leading contender. I just wonder if there might be something I'm missing like the Nook or Kobo? I don't really know anything about these.
I have the Nook STR, and I do really like it. It's a nice, quality e-reader. I like the screen on my Sony better though. The Nook doesn't refresh the screen every page (instead it's every 5 or 6 pages). That means there can be artifacts left over and the text can get a little ragged after several pages. It would be fantastic if they would just have an option to turn refresh on for every page. They also reserve most of the main memory for Nook books only. Most of my books are not from the Nook bookstore and are from Sony and other places. I have to load these on to an SD card and insert it into the Nook since there is not enough space on the main memory for these non-Nook books.

Kobo has a great bookstore. However, they are constantly doing updates of their firmware to fix issues which would annoy me when you are used to the Sony ereaders that generally "just work".

I know exactly what you mean about greasy hands from lotions & other potions. Seems I always want to read after I get ready for bed at night, and I have to be cautious about the ereader screen. Since you already have a 505, then you are used to having page buttons in the lower-left corner. I use the buttons more on my T2 than the Nook. The Nook buttons are nicer on the side but take more force to press (especially if the Nook is in a cover).

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote