View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
@ fjtorres
Many thanks for your input. I wasn't aware of the Pocketbook 902. I have just watched the YouTube video and read the WikipediA page. First impressions are that it would be too big. It seems to be a tablet rather than just an ebook reader, or have I got that wrong? It seems closer to A4 than a paperback, in size - not quite what I had in mind. Nevertheless, the video and the fact that WikipediA mentions Linux has certainly aroused my curiosity, so I would like to know more about it. The specification seems to be a bit vague. Who makes it and where are they based? Will it be available in Europe? If so, when and how much?
There is an entire Forum devoted to the Pocketbook line (they make 5in, 6in, and 9.7in readers). The 902 is brand new and is on preorder starting this week. They have strong european presence, especially in Germany. (They have a very active german forum here.) Several models are significantly cheaper than Sony's but not as cheap as the Kindle 3. (Which, by the way, is as solidly built as anything by Sony so you need not worry about that. And the keyboard is just a thin membrane; both robust and minimally obtrussive.)

Size of the 902 is about the size of a hardcover: 195x265x11 mm with a screen sized at 140x203 mm.

http://www.pocketgoods.de/index.php?...098j4b18eivrkc

If you really intend to read a lot of pdf documents (remember, pdf is not a proper ebook format, but rather an electronic paper format) be aware that no brand or model of 6in reader does a very good job with pdfs; the best are merely tolerable. Realistically, pdfs require a full PC with a color screen to be reliably rendered to best effect.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote