View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #51
Antinoos
Zealot
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
My friend's PW3 came with this fabulous fw 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) and he asked me to help him with the jb.

For reasons of mere curiosity, I've tried the ;installHtml command with that version (i.e. without prior downgrade). Didn't work (as already expected ...). A downgrade to the factory test fw 5.8.9.0.1 (special links provided by knc1) was possible, and then the ;installHtml command did its job.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten to write down the exact build number of this factory fw. But I suppose, it was a bit different from the mentioned 3175970011. Anyway there's an obvious difference between these "5.8.9.0.1" builds. The one on now-selling devices yet seems to be a special user version (allowing at least one single downgrade via a FB02 package type bin file), not a factory test build in a narrower sense (which allows the ;installHtml command).

In my eyes, this 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) is merely a special kind of user firmware, used deliberately by Amazon for now selling brand new devices.

Speculation/educated guess: It's not a bug, but a feature that this build allows the single downgrade. Could have something to do with the upcoming feature of VoiceView/Audible support also for non-English languages. These could officially region-specific be installed via FB02 bin files - and this is possible only before the first OTA update to a more current user fw. This view is proven by the existence of 5.8.10.1 and 5.9.2.0.1 firmwares coming with brand new devices and allowing the initial downgrade before any OTA to standard user firmwares.

Last edited by Antinoos; 01-08-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote