View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
But still, as you say, it's silly -- nay, RIDICULOUS! -- that Amazon pulls thumbnails from their server rather than simply extracting them from the ebook. Seems like a whole lot of extra, unnecessary effort for everyone, including them.
(First, I'd like to say that I never use the Amazon e-mail service, so I don't know much about it.)

The only reason I can think of why they do it like that is because it could be impossible for the Kindle to extract the cover. For example, all of my covers are 1024x768 pixels, where possible. Most of them are around 500 kB. Many of my books are in the fantasy-genre, and have large maps.

If the AZW/dual-mobi format is compressed, like EPUB, the Kindle would need to uncompress it, copy the cover out of it, remove the decompressed book, and then shrink the cover. For large books, that may take quite some effort, not to mention time.

Downloading a 50-100 kB or so thumbnail would be MUCH faster.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote