View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #81
grr
grr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work universally across all amazon ebooks (even among non-topaz, azw formatted ebooks) -- I get "error: Invalid file format" when trying to do so.

This seems to imply a deeper problem than just having the wrong kindle pid generated from kindlepid.py.

Possible points of failure, and what (I think) I've ruled out:

1.single quoting my kindle PID before running it on my file is not workable on my current OS -- running stuff in cmd line of windows XP (in case the asterisk is globbing or expanding or whatever)

a)I have a normal mobipocket book (definitely encoded w/my non-kindle PID).

-I am able to decrypt it by NOT singlequoting the non-kindle PID (which contains a $, instead of the kindle asterisk).

-However, when i single quote the (nonkindle) PID, I get a "invalid PID checksum" message

b)Thus, even if the asterisk in the kindle PID (unlike the $ sign in the nonkindle PID) is expanding/screwing something up in the dos command line, i'm not sure what character besides singlequote to use.

2.Probably not an issue w/my kindle serial->kindle PID conversion -- I bought my kindle within the last 2 months, and assume kindlepid.py can handle such serials fine.

edit: should mention that it isn't a lack of DRM on the azw file -- i tried mobi2html on it as a check

Last edited by grr; 08-24-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: elaborating on points