View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #38
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for avoiding blockquotes, I suggest you don't. Don't cripple the ePub because of a flaw in an obsolete format.
Yes, well, the format might be obsolete, but something like 80% of sales are through the Kindle store, so I'm not going to create something that looks weird on most of my readers' devices just because it looks good in epub, even if I prefer epub myself. Anyway, I think it's probably premature to call the mobi-derived format obsolete, since Amazon seems to be working harder to add enhancements than the epub people are.

Quote:
Oh and one thing that would work very well and quite easily is to use margins set to 0 in your CSS and a simple @page to set the 9pt margin that you want. That would make it easy for people to change the margins without having to find all the places you've set the margins.

If you would like some testing of your eBooks on an iPhone using iBooks and Bluefire reader, I'd be happy to help. I have an iPhone 3G and will be upgrading it when I can to the new iPhone (4s was a dud (IMHO)).
To be honest, I'm not going to make more work for myself to simplify the process for people who are going to go in and tinker with the code themselves. The better reading apps (Aldiko, for instance) allow margin adjustments from within the app, and that's good enough for me.

I may take you up on the offer to do some testing later, but right now I have more pressing things to think about. (This new book isn't writing itself, unfortunately.)

The whole reason for starting this thread, after all, was to ask for a way to reduce the labor in making an ebook, not increase it.

Last edited by starrigger; 08-25-2012 at 12:43 AM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote